Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The National Accent: Pronunciation Of The Vowels
Big Grin 
Many students of English have a definite accent because they pronounce English with the vowels of their language. They make this mistake because the English vowels are 'something like' the vowel sounds of the native language, but they're different!

It is inadequate to be controlled by radio and TELEVISION. A lot of people will only hear the sounds of their indigenous language and won't learn to pronounce the different sounds of a new language including Engl...

The English Vowel LOOKS

Many students of English have a distinct feature since they pronounce English with the vowels of these language. They make this mistake because the English vowels are 'something similar to' the vowel sounds of these indigenous language, but they're not the same!

It is insufficient to hear radio and TELEVISION. Most of the people will only hear the sounds of their native language and will not learn to articulate different sounds of a new language including English.

It is helpful to use a program with sessions of the language you're studying. An excellent one - and also inexpensive - are available at http://www.bookslibros.com/charlesieENGLISH.htm. A more substantial set of resopurces is found in: http://www.goodaccent.com/accentbooks.htm

Let us go through the 'natural' vowels which are contained in many languages. They are called natural because they have set sound, like this of a note of well-tuned musical instrument. These vowels are formed without interference from the lips, teeth or tongue. It is very important to remember that when we talk of the vowels a, e, i, e, u, we're speaking of the vowel sounds, not of the lettersof the alphabet. That is very important to remember in English since the same letter often represents another sound in the English spelling. We'll indicate the sounds by enclosing them in brackets: /a/, /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/, and the characters in quotes: 'a', 'e', 'i', 'e', 'u.'

In the next section, you can get a quick look at the English vowels that sound 'something like' the vowel sounds represented by the words 'a', 'e', 'i', 'e', 'u' in lots of languages. In the remaining portion of the book, we will take a look at them with increased depth and you will even be able to hear them pronounced. (For the guide but only available in Spanish see: http://www.bookslibros.com/TuCD.htm) We'll also consider the other English vowel sounds that are peculiar to English and aren't found in many other languages.

The following sounds of English are similar (not the same!) for the sounds /a/, /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/ in your language.

The English vowel of the word pot is pronounced like the letter 'a' in many languages. Learn once and for all that in some words the letter 'o' is pronounced like the 'a' inside your language! That is precisely how it is. If you do not like it, you will not change the language. It is easier to work at your pronunciation in the very beginning.

The English 'e' in the term May.

The English 'i' in the word feet.

The English 'o' in-the term purpose.

The English 'u' within the word moon

We'll start with the five vowel appears as represented by the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) as /a/, /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/. These are the pure vowel sounds that are within English just like in many other languages.

The first real vowel SOUND in English (represented by the letter 'a' in most languages) is represented by the letter 'o' In English. We repeat: you just need to get used to the. As an example the English term lot is pronounced as if it were lat in other languages.

You open your mouth wide when you get this to sound. That sound show up in the words father, vehicle, top, container and is German Vater, achtung, machen, etc, or the same sound whilst the Spanish words padre, carro, tapa, pata.

This sound is a form of the English vowel sound /o/ (the 'short e ') and not of the /a/. Dig up additional info about TM by browsing our unique link. And so the 'o' stands for this sound more regularly compared to the 'a.' In order to avoid confusion it's good to make use of a book that has the designs of the International Phonetic Alphabet, the IPA.

Certain, it's always better to tune in to an indigenous speaker but sometimes there is no need one around. As an example, when you look up a word in the dictionary you'll know the dictionary has the IPA symbols how to pronounce it.

Get a good dictionary that uses the IPA like the 'Longmans Basic Dictionary of American English' or the excellent 'Collins Cobuild English Dictionary for Advanced Learners' by reducing the correct following long URL address and pasting it in your browser:

For that Longmans: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nbookslibr

For your Collins: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nbookslibr

For more on this subject, see: http://www.inglesparalatinos.com

Let's go on to the other vowels /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/ or rather the sounds in English that are represented by these characters.

These sounds in English are not 'pure', as-in a number of other languages, since very nearly they often end with another sound. Should people hate to dig up supplementary information about meet tyler collins seo, there are many online libraries you could investigate. They end up getting a small 'i' or 'u' noise based on which vowel it is. We will have this in greater detail. Some teachers say that they've a little 'tail' at the conclusion.

If you pronounce the /e/ sound in English with no small 'tail' by the end, you'll perhaps not be pronouncing this sound properly.

In the musical My Fair Lady, the professor attempts to teach the pronunciation of the English /e/ with the term, 'The rain in Spain falls mainly on the simple.'

If you make the /i/ sound your mouth is extended to the sides. Remember this /i/ noise is seldom spelled with the letter 'i' in English.

There is hardly any 'tail' following the sound of the /i/ in English in terms including legs, pea.However, the /i/ is somewhat longer than in other languages. So you must exaggerate it and you will be almost right. If you choose to learn further about tyler collins seo articles, we recommend many online resources people could investigate.

If you pronounce the vowel /o/ of the term phone (telephone) the same as the sounds boy or lot in several languages (without the 'tail ') you will be speaking with a marked accent. The /o/ sound in English isn't pure. You have to finish the vowel with the 'end' of a small /u/ sound.

You have to sense your lips move as you pronounce the English /o/. They do not remain still as in other languages. As you finish the 'o' sound your lips make a round form like you offering a kiss.

Much like the /i/ sound, there's very little 'trail' following the English /u/ sound.

You can have a rather good pronunciation by just lengthening the vowel.

Your lips are rounded when you make the /u/ sound. Be taught new information on our favorite partner URL by visiting tyler collins seo professional.

Summary of the English Vowels

The five basic vowel sounds of many languages exist in English but using the following observations:

1. The vowel that's represented by the letter 'a' in lots of languages, more frequently appears in words with 'o.' This sound is pronounced without change in English. But, one other vowels, /e/, /i/, /o/, /u/, each one is pronounced in a particularly English fashion. /e/ and /o/ have noted 'tails.' The /i/ leads to an /i/ sound. And the /o/ finishes using a /u/ sound. The /i/ /u/ don't have tails, however they are prolonged.

2. English spelling has very little regarding the sounds it represents. Or to put in yet another way, English isn't pronounced the way it is spelled.

The /a/ sound could be the vowel sound of the English word pot.

The /e/ noise (always with the 'end ') can be spelled several ways: might, weigh, they.

The sound /i/ (a bit lengthened) is used in lots of different ways: legs, pea, field, receive.

The noise /o/ (with its /u/ end) is represented in these ways: mortgage, foe, nevertheless, hit, owe.

The sound /u/ (just a little prolonged) turns up under in unanticipated ways in the English words moon and through.

Odd spelling in English! Right? However the spelling in yet another question! We'll arrive at it. For that moment, only concentrate on the pronunciation.

One way to remember would be to consider how you form your moth when you speak English. Make an effort to imagine that you're smiling when you finish a word that ends with all the /i/ sound. When you complete the term May you stretch your lips.

Similarly, make the attempt to think of giving a hug if you finish a word that ends with all the /u/ noise. You complete the sound of the /o/ in-the word pass by puckering your lips like you were going to blow out a candle or give a kiss.

Don't forget! We have been talking of the vowel sounds, perhaps not the letters of the alphabet that often represent them. The term toe has the sam-e /o/ sound because the words get, flow, though, and love. We'll look at spelling a tad bit more in the rest of the guide, 'Leer Es Poder' durante http://www.bookslibros.com/muestra/muestra_index.htm.

Meanwhile if you study Spanish you will get pages on Pronunciacin and Ortografa in http:/www.inglesparalatinos.com. You can even get our boletn in Spanish by going to: http://www.eListas.net/lista/leerespoder/alta.